Skip over navigation

Permitted Work

What is permitted work?

If you are getting Employment and Support Allowance and other benefits because of an illness or disability you may be able to do some types of work within certain limits. This is called 'permitted work'.

The idea of permitted work is that it allows you to test your own capacity for doing some work and perhaps gain new skills. To help make this possible earnings under permitted work are ignored in the benefit calculation, up to a limit of £104 a week.

Can I do permitted work?

Permitted work is a benefit arrangement - employers do not offer 'permitted work'.

If you are getting one of the benefits below you are allowed to do permitted work:

  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA),
  • Incapacity Benefit (IB),
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA),
  • Income Support (IS) because of incapacity for work.

If you are considering starting permitted work you must tell the DWP or Jobcentre Plus and get their approval. The general rule is that these benefits are paid because you are not fit for work and will stop if you do some work.

You do not need approval from your doctor or have to have a medical assessment just because you are doing permitted work. If a medical assessment is due as part of your ongoing benefits-related review, it will go ahead as planned.

For most people there is a 52 week limit on permitted work. However, if you are in the Support Group of Employment and Support Allowance there is no 52 week limit. There is also no limit if you satisfy the supported permitted work criteria. This means work that is supervised by someone who is employed by a public or local council or a voluntary organisation, and whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people. This could be work done in the community or in a sheltered workshop. It also includes work as part of a hospital treatment programme.

Permitted work is up to a maximum of 15 hours per wek, unless you are doing supported permitted work when there is no hours limit and only the earnings limit applies. 

How does permitted work affect my benefits?

Earnings under permitted work are ignored (disregarded) in the benefit calculation, so the amount you receive is not affected.

Earnings under permitted work up to £104 a week are allowed in Employment and Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit and Severe Disablement Allowance. However, Income Support still only ignores £20 a week of permitted work. If you are doing permitted work and claiming Income Support you may therefore be better off claiming income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

Earnings from permitted work (below the limit) are also ignored completely in Housing Benefit and in most Council Tax Support schemes run by local councils.

The idea is to allow people to work for up to 15 hours a week at the minimum wage, so the permitted work earnings limit (in IB, SDA and ESA) is £104 a week from 1 October 2014.

Other allowed work

The following kinds of work are also allowed:

  • care of a relative or domestic tasks carried out in your own home
  • work done as a councillor. Any payments over £104 a week will be deducted from your benefits
  • duties as a member of the DLA Advisory Board or as a ‘disability member’ of an appeal tribunal – one day a week is allowed (or two half days)
  • an approved work trial arranged in writing with the employer by the DWP (or an organisation providing services to the DWP) for which you will receive no wages


October 2012
DCLG announce transition grant of £100million for local authorities to help with localisation of council tax support. Entitledto's calculators can help you consult and implement schemes that qualify for extra support from DCLG.
4th October 2012
Phil Agulnik addresses the IRRV Conference on the Impact of Universal Credit. See slides here. (The slides are attached).
3rd September 2012
Entitledto's Council Tax Support calculator is improving Council Tax Support consultation websites
13th June 2012
Entitledto and the National Housing Federation launch new 'bedroom tax' calculator
21st March 2012
Briefing on Budget changes to Child Benefit
22nd February 2012
White Paper 'Designing local Council Tax Support schemes'
3rd January 2012
Entitledto publish paper on Housing Benefit changes

©2000 - 2011 EntitledTo Ltd.
Company Reg No. 05191376, Registered in England & Wales|
Legal Notices|
Contact Us